Monday, May 23, 2011

Surfing the Apocalypse

The monitor flickered bright against the dark backdraft of the open night sky. A blinking button just below the screen screams for attention. Akki presses the button just as he enters the cabin. An image of a person forms instantly on the screen.

"Hey, Dude! Where you at? You surfin' this weekend?"

"Hey Ladzik, whazup. Can't find me a good wave lately. Guess I'll just stay here." said Akki.

"What! Loser. I have one for you. On the third sector. A credible source predict its gonna be epic. Mother of all waves, dude!" said Ladzik.

"Yeah sure. Who's your source? Camping? That guy can't predict the end of the world. You should have asked Bieber and I'll believe you."

"No, dude. This is authentic. It's top brass. Conspiracy-stuff. They knew about the Great Flood, for crissake! Just risk it ok? You haven't got anything anyways. What you say?"

"Alright, dude. I'll go. Where is it again?"

"It's on Earth. My source says the date is December 12, 2012. That's this weekend."

"How big is it?"

"It's their Apocalypse, Dude! Expect massive earthquakes, typhoons and volcanic eruptions. And of course epic waves. I'm telling you it's the shit! "

"Awesome! You aint' comin'?"

"Oh, I'd love to! But I have this meet-up on Pleiades. Business."

"Oh, poor you."

"Yeah dude. Hey, I gotta go. Enjoy youself there. Hang Ten!"

"Alright, Dude."

Akki presses the blinking button again. The monitors turns all black. He then walks toward the back of the monitor and opens a tall metal vault behind. He picks up a long silver surfboard. He walks toward the door of the cabin carrying the surfboard.

He walks to the bridge of the ship and sits in front of the navigation deck. He types in some coordinates and pushes some levers and buttons. Then he moves the Main Lever forward at maximum warp speed.

"Apocalypse, here I come!"